10 Car Accident Claim Tips
If you were recently in a car accident
Miracle Health Services in Miami, FL has these tips to try to help you have the smoothest and least stressful experience you can have with your car accident claim. These tips are based on years of experience treating patients and working with the insurance companies for those patients.
This is not intended to be legal advise. If you think that you need legal advise, you should contact an attorney.
1. Do not record a statement with either insurance company. If at all possible. If you are reading this after already recording a statement, then don’t worry. If there is a problem from your recording an attorney will be able to help you out.
2. Have the adjuster put the questions in writing instead of a phone statement. Now you have a record of what was asked as well as what was said. and, you have time to think about it.
3. DO NOT sign anything without reading very carefully, the insurance adjusters want you to close this car accident claim as fast as possible. Be careful, the insurance company will try to offer you cash up front for your signature to close the claim. If you do this you are not entitled to receive any medical treatment, and you are not allowed to sue them for more money if you end up having a more serious injury.
4. Document everything! Get a small notebook and write down how you are feeling, what you can’t do because of the accident, any issues the accident caused. Try to update this at minimum weekly. This will help you a lot when you are ready to settle.
5. Be consistent with your medical care, gaps in treatment can harm claims and can make it more likely the adjuster will close your claim early.
6. See a doctor that specializes in whiplash injuries, like Miracle Health Services, as soon as possible. This is not the emergency room doctor, or your general practitioner. Your medical will strengthen your claim with the insurance companies.
7. Don’t over treat. What does this mean you ask? Well, it can be hard to define this, but what I try to explain, is that your treatments must be related to your accident, the adjusters are looking for reasons to close all car accident claims by paying out the smallest amount possible. Most patients have preexisting conditions prior to a car accident. This must be differentiated from your new injury. If anyone on your team suggests you treat more to raise your insurance claim, FIRE THEM. You will risk losing your whole claim. Plus this is insurance fraud and not worth going to jail for.
8. Don’t under treat. I know – sounds strange. But it’s rare that one type of treatment will solve all your problems. Auto accident injuries affect the muscles, the bones and the nerves. Make sure you take care of each problem before closing your car accident insurance claim.
9. Your insurance adjuster is not your friend. I know it seems like he works for you, you pay your insurance every year, and you pay a lot. But your adjuster works for the insurance company, and the insurance company does not want you to spend their money.
Your adjuster can close down your claim if they feel you don’t need treatment.
10. Be nice, polite and professional even if the adjuster is not. Your behavior can influence how your adjuster handles your personal case.